Careers guidance is an important focus of the Northern Beaches Secondary College (NBSC).
While great opportunities are available to our students through the very broad choice of subjects in their senior years, we believe that the benefit is only fully realised if students are carefully guided in making their choices.
Each campus has a comprehensive Careers Education Program that includes lessons (usually for Year 10), interviews, school to work preparation, work experience, computer guided career exploration and a range of activities designed to equip students with knowledge, skills and understanding to make important decisions about their future.
Work experience is available at each campus for all students. There is official Department of Education documentation that must be completed before work experience is approved. Written authorisation must be obtained from the school before work experience is undertaken. To express your interest in work experience, contact the careers adviser.
NBSC Campus career advisers
- NBSC Balgowlah Boys Campus: Bryce Johnson
- NBSC Cromer Campus: Fiona Bird
- NBSC Manly Campus: Bec Fee
- NBSC Freshwater Senior Campus: Mel Penrose and Glenn Bennett
- NBSC Mackellar Girls Campus: Katherine Erskine
NSW and ACT universities
Below are a list of universities across NSW and ACT:
- Australian Catholic University
- Australian Maritime College
- Australian National University
- Charles Sturt University
- Macquarie University
- Southern Cross University
- University of Canberra
- University of New England
- University of New South Wales
- University of Newcastle
- University of Sydney
- University of Technology Sydney
- University of Western Sydney
- University of Wollongong
- Bond University
- Notre Dame
- Griffith University
- Australian Defence Force Academy.
Universities admissions centre
The Year 12 universities admission centre (UAC) guide will be available to Year 12 students through the careers office at the beginning of August. The UAC guide contains information on universities in NSW and the ACT. It provides details on all university courses that will be offered next year including the ATARs.
In addition, the UAC guide has information on university application procedure, deferment of studies, STAT tests and study costs.
Year 10 students are issued the College's senior study guide prior to their subject selection for Year 11. The UAC's Year 10 booklet is also available from the careers office. These booklets contain information on specific university courses and their requirements and should be consulted when a student is considering his/her subject choices for Years 11 and 12.
For more information, visit the University Admissions Centre website.
Below are a list of private universities and colleges across NSW and ACT:
- APM Training Institute
- Australian Academy of Dramatic Art
- Australian Film Television and Radio School
- Australian International Hotel School
- Basair Australia
- Bedford Business College
- Billy Blue School of Graphic Arts
- The Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School
- College of Natural Therapies
- CPA Australia
- The Hotel School
- International College of Management Sydney
- JMC Academy
- Kenvale College
- Macleay College
- Martin College
- National Training Information Service
- Nature Care College
- Raffles College of Design and Commerce
- St. Patrick's Business College
- Sydney Design School
- The Whitehouse Institute of Design
- Williams Business College.
Universities offer undergraduate scholarships. For further details refer to their websites. Follow the links available in the lists above. There is usually a link to scholarships via the Undergraduate Information or search for undergraduate scholarships.
Bonus ATAR points
Most universities offer ATAR bonus points for performances in Bands 5 and 6 in subjects that are relevant in specific courses at that University. Search on the university website or ask your careers adviser.
Elite athletes and performers bonus points
Some universities also offer bonus ATAR points for performances at state and national level. This scheme is not only for athletes but includes muscians, chess players, school captains, silver and gold Duke of Edinburgh's awards and more.
Below are a list of websites in some countries across the world:
The United States of America
- The University of Auckland
- Auckland University of Technology
- University of Canterbury
- Massey University
- University of Otago
- University of Wellington
- The University of Waikato
- Studylink New Zealand
- New Zealand Immigration Service
- Queenstown Resort College.
Looking for a job
Below are a list of websites that post new job positions:
- My Future
- Australian Apprenticeships
- State Training Services
- Group Training Organisations
- Northern Beaches Business Education Network Inc
- Career One
- VET in Schools
- Careers Online
- Career Central
- Graduate Careers.
Tax File Number
When you begin any type of employment, you will be required to have a Tax File Number. You will also need this when you apply for a Commonwealth-supported place.
Students can apply for a tax file number by collecting an application via careers adviser office, online or from AUSPOST.
For taxation enquiries, visit the Australian Taxation Office website.